I’ve finally gotten around to blogging about our European Adventure and included links to all the places we stayed which I highly recommend! It was an amazing trip and we saw so much! Will forever remember being with my best friend and our daughters! Here is the basic itinerary for our spring European road trip. Our home base was my best friend Lindsay’s home in Breda, Netherlands.
May 1-12, 2018.
We got a lot done on this trip in a short amount of time. Using the car was the key to moving quickly. We didn’t have to wait around for public transportation and could stop wherever we wanted if we saw something neat.
I did not drive, but it didn’t seem much different than the US. In Germany there was no speed limit most of the time, so we made great time on that long leg of the trip.
We mainly visited attractions early in the morning then drove in the afternoon to the next destination. This way the girls could take a nap in the car and we could stop in a new country or city for meals. The days were LONG! I mean we were up at 7am and out until 10pm most days, which is a lot for little girls….and me! But there was so much to see that I didn’t care how tired I was.
- May 1: Kansas City → Chicago → Amsterdam Airport
- May 2: Amsterdam Airport → Lisse Holland → Breda, Netherlands
- May 3: Breda → Cochem, Germany
- May 4: Cochem, Germany→ Burg Eltz Castle → Schwangau, Germany
- May 5: Neuschwanstein Castle → Liechtenstein → drive through Austria → Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
- May 6: Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland → Eguisheim, France → Colmar, France
- May 7: Comar, France → Luxembourg → Breda, Netherlands
- May 8: Breda → Zaanse Schans → Amsterdam → Breda
- May 9: Breda → Versailles, France
- May 10: Versailles, France → Giverny, France
- May 11: Giverny, France → Antwerp, Belgium → Breda, Netherlands
- May 12: Breda, Netherlands → Chicago → Kansas City
Road Trip Part One
For part one of the trip we were lucky to have Lindsay’s husband Ivan drive us since this was the long part of the adventure. We also had their dog Winston with us which was fun.
Stop 1: Lisse, Netherlands Holland
Stop 2: Cochem, Germany
Stop 3: Burg Eltz Castle
We stopped at Burg Eltz Castle on the way to Neuschwanstein
Stop 4: Neuschwanstein Castle
Stop 5: Principality of Liechtenstein
Stop 6: Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
Stop 7: Eguisheim, France
Stop 8: Colmar, France
Stop 9: Luxembourg
Road Trip Part Two
This part was just us four girls, no boys or dogs, but we still had fun!
Stop 10: Zaanse Schans Netherlands
Stop 11: Amsterdam
Road Trip Part Three
For this part of the road trip it was also just us four girls.